Serve on the Board of Directors
Are you ready to take the next step as a member-owner to move the work of the Fertile Ground Food Cooperative forward? Apply to join our board of directors! There are currently 2 vacancies that the board may fill by appointment. Please fill out this application and submit to [email protected] with the subject line "Application to Board of Directors" by September 30 to be considered. If you would like to nominate someone, please fill out this endorsement form by and the board will contact the nominee.
To submit your nomination, please...
- Review the expectations of board members
- Submit your Candidate Statement and an endorsement for your nomination from another Fertile Ground member-owner to [email protected]
Candidate Statement and Co-op Member Endorsement available below
Nominations must be submitted by 5pm on November 12th
We will open voting at our next members' meeting on November 14th, 2020, via zoom at 10 am. The election will be held through an online, anonymous ballot. Voting will be open for three weeks after the meeting, until December 5th. Check back on this page soon to vote online!
The Board of Directors of Fertile Ground Food Cooperative is an elected leadership body. Responsibilities are listed below.
- executing the mission and purposes of the FGFC
- selecting and evaluating the performance of the general manager & other Board staff
- planning strategically to execute the mission
- ensuring strong fiduciary oversight and financial management
- fundraising and resource development
- approving and monitoring the FGFC’s programs and services
- enhancing the FGFC’s public image
- assessing its own performance as the governing body of the organization
Each individual board member is expected to
- know the FGFC’s mission, policies, programs, and needs
- read and understand the FGFC’s financial statements, by-laws, other official documents & additional readings related to the FGFC mission, work
- serve as active FGFC advocates and ambassadors and fully engage in identifying and securing the financial resources and partnerships necessary for the FGFC to advance its mission
- leverage connections, networks, and resources to develop collective action to fully achieve the FGFC’s mission
- give a meaningful personal financial donation commensurate with individual capacity
- help identify personal connections that can benefit the FGFC’s fundraising and reputational standing and can influence public policy
- prepare for, attend, and conscientiously participate in board meetings
- participate fully on one or more committees
- follow the organization’s bylaws, policies, and board resolutions
- sign an annual conflict-of-interest disclosure and update it during the year if necessary, as well as disclose potential conflicts before meetings and actual conflicts during meetings
- maintain confidentiality about all internal matters of the organization
- maintain a civil demeanor regardless of disagreement and respect each person’s humanity